Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Done !


Excuse the fingers peeping over the top :o)
It looks a bit squinty but it is just 'cos it moved a little at the bottom when the door was opened. It is straight when hung on a wall!

This is a painted wholecloth quilt that has been in my head for years! I always thought that a dry stone wall would make a brilliant quilting project!
I took photos and looked at walls but in the end drew this one with imaginary stones starting at the bottom as a proper waller would begin. Initially the colours were very pale but I intensified them and added shadows as I went on. The wall, fields and sky are mainly coloured with Derwent Inktense pencils but Pentel Watercolor Dyes and Fabrico dual point have also been used and all the stitching was done with Bernina 830.

The dandelion from the previous posting is on the bottom right hand side. All the flowers at the bottom are the early spring flowers. Above the wall the early orange tip butterflies are dancing watched by a nest building Robin. Sheep and lambs are on the slopes where the tree has not yet come into leaf. Bottom left a little bank vole is looking for a crevice in the wall for its nest.

In view of the very late spring /long winter we have had this year perhaps I should have included a little snow in the background!
I think I might eventually make a summer and autumn version  of this.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Plum Cox said...

Beautiful! A lovely work of art!

Caz said...

Brilliant!

Digitalgran said...

This is lovely!

Bonni said...

It was wonderfully done. I had to go and look up a picture that my brother took on vacation of a wall that reminded me of your quilt. You can see that picture at http://public.fotki.com/bonni56/kerms-vacation-2012/dscf2338.html

Your wall could fit right next to the one my brother saw. Well done indeed.

Borderline Quilter said...

Rosalind this was fabulous, I loved it straight away, I love drystone walls anyway but to think this is a painted wholecloth is amazing.....

See here http://borderlinequilter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/uttoxeter-and-more.html

It was a great show!

Best Wishes
Kay in Scotland